Your Shell Card Privacy Statement
We value you and your data, and we want to ensure your personal data is processed and used in a transparent manner, in line with the GDPR. On this page, you will find useful information on our approach to GDPR - we trust this will be useful to you.
This Privacy Statement supplements the Privacy Notice - Business Customers, Suppliers and Business Partners available at www.shell.com/privacy.html and in your location at https://www.shell.co.uk/business-customers/shell-fuel-card/your-shell-card-privacy-statement.html.
What does this supplementary Privacy Statement cover?
This supplementary Privacy Statement provides information about personal data which are collected and processed in connection with the services provided by Shell Fleet Solutions business including the Shell Fuel Card (‘SHELL FLEET SOLUTIONS SERVICES’) as well as your visits to Shell websites related to the Shell Fleet Solutions Services. For all other interaction with a company or companies within the Shell group of companies (‘Shell’) please refer to the relevant privacy notice at www.shell.com/privacy.html and from the Shell website in your location.
Source of data
If you have not provided your personal data directly to Shell, Shell has obtained your personal data from your employing or contracting company or from your leasing or fleet management company.
What personal data do we process about you?
In addition to the personal data set out in the relevant privacy notice referred to above and depending on the exact services used by you and your company, Shell may process some or all of the following types of data:
- user ids, marketing and language preferences;
- Director’s (and other associated persons’) details including name and date of birth where these are required for trade compliance, anti-money laundering and anti-bribery and corruption purposes / credit checking;
- Transaction details including driver’s name, card number, vehicle identifier, products purchased, date, time and location;
- CCTV images at Shell Retail locations for safety, security, fraud management and operational purposes;
Who is responsible for any personal data collected?
Your local Shell fuel cards contracting company: Shell U.K. Oil Products Ltd (Shell Centre, London, SE1 7NA) and affiliated companies within the Shell group of companies.
For what purposes do we process your personal data?
As well as the purposes set out in the relevant privacy notice referred to above Personal Data supplied by a customer to apply to use the SHELL FLEET SOLUTIONS SERVICES and/or collected through the use of SHELL FLEET SOLUTIONS SERVICES, will be processed for the purposes of;
- processing the application;
- establishing a cardholder’s identity if requested by your employing or contracting company;
- completing credit checks in relation to key individuals per customer such as company directors. We do not credit check each individual cardholder;
- operating the account(s) and facilitating access to and use of the online services relating to the SHELL FLEET SOLUTIONS SERVICES;
- assessing and/or reviewing the card status and/or purchase record of the Shell Fuel Card on an ongoing basis;
- monitoring volume and spend information;
- registration for other related services and different payment methods (e.g. mobile payments via the Shell App);
- for safety and security reasons, in particular, to protect the personnel and assets of Shell and its customers and to protect our customers when using products with special handling requirements e.g. GTL.
- Local businesses can change this to suit local market conditions
Additional information for users of Telematics services
If your vehicle is fitted with a Shell issued telematics device, Shell may also collect information about:
- your vehicle’s location which can be used to calculate e.g. vehicle speed, route taken;
- whether the vehicle is stopped;
- your vehicle’s acceleration, deceleration (braking) and cornering;
- whether the seat belt is used;
- information from your vehicle’s engine (e.g. engine speed), electrical system (e.g. battery voltage) and warning system (e.g. engine warning light on);
- vehicle refuelling or charging.
Shell may use these data in combination with other data we hold about you, e.g. fuel card transactions, to provide analysis requested by your employing or engaging company to better understand driving style, safety, vehicle performance and routing information.
Communication and Marketing
You may receive offers on behalf of the relevant business customer. On all occasions you or your company’s authorised representative will be given the opportunity to use the unsubscribe functionality through the different digital channels we use to interact with you. For more information please refer to the Privacy Notice - Business Customers, Suppliers and Business Partners mentioned above.
When processing an application and during the term of any SHELL FLEET SOLUTIONS SERVICES agreement, we may assess the creditworthiness of the company/business applying, as well as that of key individual(s) associated with that business e.g. company directors. We use authorized third party credit checking agencies for this purpose who will use credit scoring or other automated decision-making processes; and records held by credit reference agencies. If you have any queries please refer to the Contact Details section below.
Who will we share your personal data with?
In addition to the categories of recipients set out in the relevant privacy notice referred to above your personal data may be shared with:
- the company (that is the SHELL FLEET SOLUTIONS SERVICES customer) which ordered the SHELL FLEET SOLUTIONS SERVICES on your behalf;
- the participants involved in providing the SHELL FLEET SOLUTIONS SERVICES, such as the retailers, authorised toll service providers and/or any other company that is permitted to supply products and/or services to SHELL FLEET SOLUTIONS SERVICES users;
- credit reference, screening and/or fraud prevention agencies as well as referees, guarantors or other persons providing references or security in relation to your business’s obligations;
- customer’s third party partners - in the event your company has chosen to work with a third party service provider (e.g. fleet management companies, leasing companies), for the purpose of enabling the third party to provide the services you require (e.g. management information, consolidated invoicing).
How long do we hold your personal data for?
Shell will only hold your personal data for as long as is necessary to meet business, legal or fiscal requirements.
- Personal data contained in invoices, transaction files, correspondence with customers and requests to issue new fuel cards - 10 years;
- Contracts (which contain contact details) - the life of the contract plus 20 years;
- Other contact data and cardholder data – life of contract plus 4 years;
- Telematics data – 3 years
Who can you contact if you have a query, concern or complaint about your personal data?
You can contact SHELL FUEL CARD Customer Service Center at email@example.com or 0800 731 31 31 if required.
Changes to this supplementary Privacy Statement
This supplementary Privacy Statement and the Privacy Notice - Business Customers, Suppliers and Business Partners may change over time. This supplementary Privacy Statement was last updated in June 2020.
More in Shell fuel card
Whether you business is local or international we have the fuel card to suit your needs. We look at every detail and offer the tools and services to help reduce operating costs so your fleet performs better.
Whether you run a single car or a fleet of trucks, our fuel card is designed to help. Because we know it’s the small things that make a big difference when it comes to your business.