Your Shell Card Privacy Statement
We value you and your data, and we want to ensure your personal data is processed and used in a transparent manner, in line with the GDPR. On this page, you will find useful information on our approach to GDPR - we trust this will be useful to you.
Your privacy matters to us so please take a moment to familiarise yourself with this Shell Fleet Solutions UK Privacy Statement and contact us if you have any questions or queries. This Privacy Statement complements the Privacy Notice - Business Customers, Suppliers and Business Partners available at www.shell.com/privacy.html and in your location at https://www.shell.co.uk/business-customers/shell-fuel-card/your-shell-card-privacy-statement.html.
What does this Privacy Statement cover?
This Privacy Statement provides information about personal data which are collected and processed in connection with the Shell Fuel Card program ‘SHELL FUEL CARD’ as well as your visits to all Shell websites related to the Shell Fleet Solutions business. For all other interaction with a company or companies within the Shell group of companies (‘Shell’) please refer to the relevant privacy notice.
Source of data
If you have not provided your personal data directly to Shell, Shell has obtained your personal data from your employing or contracting company or from your leasing or fleet management company.
What personal data do we process about you?
Depending on the exact services used by you and your company, Shell may process some or all of the following types of data:
- Business contact details including name, address, email addresses, telephone numbers, marketing preferences and language preferences.
- Director’s (and other associated persons’) details including name and birth date; these are required for anti-money laundering and anti-bribery and corruption purposes / credit checking. Please refer to the Privacy Notice - Business Customers, Suppliers and Business Partners mentioned above for more information.
- Transaction details including driver’s name, card number, vehicle identifier, products purchased, date, time and location.
- CCTV images at Shell Retail locations for safety and fraud management purposes
Who is responsible for any personal data collected?
Your local Shell fuel cards contracting company: Shell U.K. Oil Products Ltd (Shell Centre, London, SE1 7NA) and affiliated companies within the Shell group of companies.
For what purposes do we process your personal data?
Personal Data supplied by a customer to apply to join the SHELL FUEL CARD program and/or collected through the use of the SHELL FUEL CARD program, will be processed for the purposes of;
- processing the application;
- establishing a cardholder’s identity if requested by your employing or contracting company
- completing credit checks in relation to key individuals per customer such as company directors. We do not credit check each individual cardholder.
- operating the account(s) and facilitating access to and use of the online services relating to the SHELL FUEL CARD program;
- assessing and/or reviewing the card status and/or purchase record of the SHELL FUEL CARD on an ongoing basis;
- monitoring volume and spend information;
- conducting aggregated market research and/or statistical analysis;
- registration for other related services and different payment methods (e.g. mobile payments via the Shell App);
- identifying and preventing money laundering and fraud;
- marketing and commercial communication where you have consented to receive this and/or
- for safety and security reasons, in particular, to protect the personnel and assets of Shell and its customers and to protect our customers when using products with special handling requirements e.g. GTL.
Additional information for users of Telematics services
If your vehicle is fitted with a Shell issued telematics device, Shell may also collect information about:
- your vehicle’s location which can be used to calculate e.g. vehicle speed, route taken
- whether the vehicle is stopped
- your vehicle’s acceleration, deceleration (braking) and cornering
- whether the seat belt is used
- information from your vehicle’s engine (e.g. engine speed), electrical system (e.g. battery voltage) and warning system (e.g. engine warning light on)
- vehicle refuelling or charging
We may use these data in combination with other data we hold about you, e.g. fuel card transactions, to analyse driving style, safety, vehicle performance and routing information.
Communication and Marketing
You may receive offers on behalf of the relevant business customer. On all occasions you or your company’s authorised representative will be given the opportunity to use the unsubscribe functionality through the different digital channels we use to interact with you. For more information please refer to the Privacy Notice - Business Customers, Suppliers and Business Partners mentioned above.
When processing an application and during the term of any SHELL FUEL CARD agreement, we may assess the creditworthiness of the company/business applying, as well as that of key individual(s) associated with that business e.g. company directors. We use authorized third party credit checking agencies for this purpose who will use credit scoring or other automated decision-making processes; and records held by credit reference agencies. If you have any queries please refer to the Contact Details section below.
Who will we share your personal data with?
Your personal data that are collected as a part of the agreement may be transferred within the Shell group, including to Shell companies which may be located outside the Economic European Area (“EEA”) for the purposes specified above.
Additionally, your personal data may be shared with:
- the company (that is the SHELL FUEL CARD customer) which ordered the SHELL FUEL CARD on your behalf;
- the participants in the SHELL FUEL CARD scheme, such as the retailers, authorised toll service providers and/or any other company that is permitted to supply products and/or services to SHELL FUEL CARD cardholders under the SHELL FUEL CARD scheme;
- any person to whom any member of the Shell Group proposes to transfer any of its rights and/or duties under a SHELL FUEL CARD agreement;
- credit reference, screening and/or fraud prevention agencies as well as referees, guarantors or other persons providing references or security in relation to your business’s obligations;
- customer’s third party partners - in the event your company has chosen to work with a third party service provider (e.g. fleet management companies, leasing companies), for the purpose of enabling the third party to provide the services you require (e.g. management information, consolidated invoicing).
How long do we hold your personal data for?
Shell will only hold your personal data for as long as is necessary to meet business, legal or fiscal requirements. Except in countries where local legislation requires longer retention periods, our retention periods are:
- Contracts (which contain contact details) – life of contract plus 20 years
- Invoices (which contain transaction data) – 10 years
- Reference data (which includes contact data and cardholder data) – life of contract plus 4 years
- Customer correspondence – 10 years
- Transaction files – 10 years
- Files from customers containing reference updates – 10 years
- Files used to create new fuel cards (which contain cardholder data) – 10 years
Who can you contact if you have a query, concern or complaint about your personal data?
You can contact SHELL FUEL CARD Customer Service Center at firstname.lastname@example.org or 0800 731 31 31 if required.
Changes to this supplementary Privacy Statement
This supplementary Privacy Statement and the Privacy Notice - Business Customers, Suppliers and Business Partners may change over time. This supplementary Privacy Statement was last updated in March 2020.
More in Shell fuel card
Whether you business is local or international we have the fuel card to suit your needs. We look at every detail and offer the tools and services to help reduce operating costs so your fleet performs better.
Whether you run a single car or a fleet of trucks, our fuel card is designed to help. Because we know it’s the small things that make a big difference when it comes to your business.