Industrial Lubricant Sustainability key points
1. Advancements in lubricants have the potential to reduce emissions and save on fleet costs1
Research has found that the fuel savings from improving and using effective engine lubricants equate to average savings per vehicle of between €37–€67 per year for cars and €720–€1282 per year for heavy trucks.
2. Biodegradable oils are generally less flammable and less harmful to plants or animals
Biodegradable lubricants such as synthetic or vegetable oils are much more considerate to the environment and are less toxic to plants and animals. A greater number of biodegradable lubricants for different specifications, such as hydraulic fluids, are being developed with greater biodegradability and less toxicity that can operate in more environmentally sensitive areas.2
3. Without proper disposal procedures in place, 50% of all lubricants used worldwide end up in the environment3
The main cause of lubricant loss is accidental release or spills, which can result contamination in areas with limited detection.4 Biodegradable lubricants mean that any lubricant released into the environment can be broken down more easily in soil and water.
4. Biodegradable lubricants can help businesses meet consumer sustainability expectations and environmental regulations
Consumers expect businesses to play their part by providing more sustainable products Using biodegradable products within production allows consumers to be at ease when buying a product, knowing that waste from these products are biodegradable.
5. The production of biodegradable plastics often requires half as much energy than non-degradable plastics
Bioplastics are made from natural substances such as corn starch, meaning they can save energy in the manufacturing process. The manufacturing of natural polymers requires 65% less energy compared to a similar polymer made from petroleum.5
Fuel savings from effective engine lubricants equate to average savings per vehicle of between €37–€67 per year for cars and €720–€1282 per year for heavy trucks.¹
Explore how your business can tackle its biggest challenges with sustainability in mind.
Discover more about the Shell Lubricant Solutions products and services designed to help organisations embed sustainability into business strategy.
More about Sustainability at Shell
Learn more about what sustainability at Shell means – providing more and cleaner energy solutions for people in a responsible way.