20. All entries will be judged on the following criteria:
i. Relevance of the answer to the challenge which the Team has chosen to address and justification of the need for the solution (25%)
ii. Quality and creativity of the solution (25%)
iii. Relevant scientific knowledge and/or technical information supporting the solution (25%)
iv. Overall style and quality of presentation of the entry (15%)
v. Evidence of collaboration and project management (10%)
21. The prizes available are as follows:
i. There will be 33 shortlisted teams, of these there will be:
ii. 11 regional winners (“Regional Winners”)
iii. 3 national winners:
- One will be named national winner;
- One will be named national second place;
- One will be named national third place (“National Winners”).
iv. The National Winners will be chosen from the Regional Winners.
v. The prize for each of the 11 Regional Winners will consist of:
- £1,500 for the Team’s school to be spent on improving its science, technology, engineering and maths offering to students;
- individual prizes including a tablet computer (brand model to be confirmed) with a minimum retail value of £240 for each Individual in the winning Team; and
- a trip to Make the Future London on Thursday 30 June or Friday 1 July 2016, the date of which will be decided at the Promoter’s sole discretion, for the Team and 1 Teacher, which will be coordinated by the Promoter. The Promoter will arrange and pay all reasonable travel expenses (economy class only) from each Regional Winner’s school to Make the Future London and one night’s hotel accommodation (minimum 3* and maximum 5*) if the Regional Winner’s school is over 100 miles from Make the Future London. The Promoter will not be responsible for paying any other expenses, whether personal or otherwise.
vi. The prize for the first place National Winner will consist of:
- £3,500 for the Team’s school, to be spent on improving its science, technology, engineering and maths offering to students.
vii. The prize for the second place National Winner will consist of:
- £2,500 for the Team’s school, to be spent on improving its science, technology, engineering and maths offering to students.
viii. The prize for the third place National Winner will consist of:
- £1,500 for the Team’s school, to be spent on improving its science, technology, engineering and maths offering to students.
ix. QEOP will offer an additional prize to a winning school with a postcode in the London Boroughs of Hackney, Newham, Tower Hamlets or Waltham Forest (the “QEOP Boroughs”). This additional prize will be judged on the same criteria as the other prizes but only entries submitted from the QEOP Boroughs will be eligible. The prize will be £1,500 for the school of the winning team (the “QEOP Winner”) to be spent on improving its science, technology, engineering and maths offering to students (the “QEOP Prize”). For the avoidance of doubt the QEOP Winner can also be a Regional Winner and/or National Winner. The QEOP Prize will be co-ordinated by QEOP and the Promoter accepts no liability in relation to the QEOP Prize.
x. The Promoter reserves the right to award additional prizes during or at the end of the Competition.
22. The Regional Winners’ and National Winners’ prize money funds must be spent by the relevant Winner’s school on improving its science, technology, engineering and maths offering to students. Proof of purchase will be required, in the form of receipts or a purchase order, to demonstrate the money is being used for its intended purpose before funds will be released. Winning schools will have until 21 October 2016 to prove the purchases and the Promoter reserves the right to offer the prize to an alternative winner if the winning school fails to comply.
23. By accepting a prize, a Regional Winner and/or National Winner (as applicable) agrees to release and hold the Promoter and its affiliates harmless against any and all claims and liability arising out of the award of, the use or misuse of any prize. Where the law implies warranties, which cannot be excluded, the Promoter’s liability for breach of those warranties is limited to resupplying the prize (or paying for the costs thereof), where this is permitted by law. A Regional Winner and/or National Winner (as applicable) assumes all liability for any injury or damage caused, or claimed to be caused by participation in this Competition or use or redemption of any prize.
24. The judging panel will consist of up to 10 individuals, including at least one employee of the Promoter and at least one independent judge (the “Judging Panel”). The full names of the judges on the Judging Panel will be available by written request to firstname.lastname@example.org for six weeks from 01/07/2016.
25. Up to 33 entrants (to comprise of 3 teams from each of the 11 regions) will be selected to be on the shortlist. The Regional Winners will be selected from the 33 shortlisted entries by the Judging Panel and the National Winners will be selected from the Regional Winners by the Judging Panel.
26. The National Winners will be announced at Make the Future London, and the National Winners’ schools will be notified by telephone or by email to the relevant Teachers and nominated key school contacts within 7 days of Make the Future London using the details provided in the Bright Ideas Report. The prizes (other than the QEOP Prize) will be co-ordinated with respective schools by 1 August 2016.
27. Prizes will be awarded to the school that the Regional Winners and National Winners were attending at the time of submission of their entry. Notification of winning will be made by the Promoter to you and the nominated key school contact.
28. In the event that any of the Regional Winners or National Winners refuse acceptance of the prize or, for whatever reason cannot accept the prize, or if the Promoter is unable to make contact with any relevant school within 7 days of the relevant timeframe for notification stated in these Terms and Conditions, the Promoter reserves the right to award it to an alternative winner without liability to the original Regional Winner or National Winner, as applicable.
29. The prizes, as stated, are non-transferable and no substitution will be made except at the Promoter’s discretion. The Promoter reserves the right to award alternative prizes of equal or greater value, should the advertised prizes or any part of them become unavailable for any reason.